Christmas has become an important holiday for the entire world and the Vietnamese people. As Christmas’ Eve approaches, it’s time for families to come together around the table for conversations and for special festive dishes while waiting for a bountiful new year. Today, Big C will introduce you to 3 unique dishes for Christmastime.
Sweet delights with the Yule logs
Yule logs stand for the warmth of the sun as well as luck! People would eat Yule logs on Christmas’ Eve with the hope that the best will come to their family and close ones in the next year! Yule logs are a must-try at every Christmas dinner.
To make this delightful dessert for your family, you will need the following ingredients:
- 40ml of unsweetened milk
- 25g of flour
- 30g of butter
- Cacao powder: 30g
- Eggs: 4
- Cream: 300ml
- Black chocolate: 150g
- White sugar: 80g
- Cooking oil: 25ml
- Step 1: Add milk, cooking oil, butter, flour, cacao powder, egg yolks to a bowl. Mix well.
- Step 2: Beat the egg white until the texture becomes fluffy
- Step 3: Gently add the mixture to the butter mixture
- Step 4: Pour the mixture into moulds and bake in 170 degree C in 30 minutes
- Step 5: Whip 150ml of whipping cream and spread on the cake. Roll and put in the fridge for 30 minutes. Put the remaining 150ml of whipping cream into a saucepan and heat on an oven
- Step 6: Add chocolate and butter to the saucepan. Mix well.
- Step 7: Remove the cake from the fridge. Cut into 2 pieces. Spread chocolate or sprinkle cacao powder on top. Decorate as you like, and enjoy.
The familiar turkey with a slight twist
Turkey is a familiar dish that each Western family enjoys every Christmas. It stands for prosperity and good health in the coming year. Big C will show you how to make this delicious dish!
- 1 turkey (can be replaced by a chicken)
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 1 lemon
- 3 stalks of celery, julienned
- 1 small bowl of cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
Step 1: Clean the turkey. Let dry, then rub salt and pepper throughout the turkey and its belly
Step 2: Stuff the onions into the turkey. Mix mayonnaise, salt, pepper, herbs, and garlic together.
Step 3: Spread the mixture on the turkey. Marinade for 48 hours to let the spices settle in
Step 4: Roast at 205 degree C. After roasting for 90 minutes, reduce the temperature to 177 degree C. Roast for 3 more hours.
Note: For the best shape, tie a rope around the turkey’s neck, down the thighs and the legs. Cross the turkey’s leg.
Spice up your palette with gingerbreads
Gingerbreads are also another must-have for every Christmas dinner in the West. Like Yule logs and turkeys, gingerbreads are believed to bring good luck for the entire family. Gingerbreads are also lovely delicacies to enjoy on Christmas’ Eve.
- 145g butter
- 160g brown sugar
- 160ml water
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 437g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Ginger powder, cinnamon powder, and salt
Step 1: Mix 160g brown sugar with water
Step 2: Use a whisk to beat butter at moderate speed for 2-3 minutes. Then, add the brown sugar mixture until it mixes well. Add vanilla extract and egg and keep beating
Step 3: Mix all ingredients together until the dough is fine. Put the dough on a board and roll until the texture is fine
Step 4: Wrap the dough in food wrap. Store in a cool compartment of the fridge for 3 hours.
Step 5: Pre-heat the oven to 175 degree C. Put wax papers on the oven tray. Use a pin to flatten the dough. Use a mould for shaping.
Step 6: Put the cookies on the tray. Bake for 9-10 minutes until the cookies become dry and deep brown. Let cool on the tray for 5 minutes before taking the cookies out.
The three recommended Christmas dishes above are not only familiar with Vietnamese’ taste but are also very easy to make, aren’t they? Come visit the nearest Big C for the best ingredients for your Christmas dinner! Click here!
It takes less than 60s to register successfully. One-time registration, multiple benefits.
Welcome to Big C
A validation e-mail has been sent to . Please help to check and clink the attached link to validate your account! If you do not receive the validation e-mail (Inbox or Spam) within 1 minute, please click the button "Resend active code"